May 1, 2012

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Title: Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Ships Launched: 658*

Pages: 370
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Synopsis: Sometimes sorry isn't enough....
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.

The concept of Fury was, without a doubt, fascinating. I have always been curious about Greek mythology, which explains my somewhat childish obsession with Rick Riordan's novels. So, of course, the idea of modern day Furies intrigued me. That was the reason I picked up this book from the library. That, and the absolutely gorgeous cover. 

The book started off interesting. The alternating views between Em and Chase were nice because you got to see both sides of the story. The writing was fluid and had just the right amount of description. There were twists that I hadn't expected, and twists that I had, which is more than I can say for some books out there.
Now that I think about it, it seems like a good book. It seems like a lot of people would like its creepiness, its twists and turns, and its touch of romance. Everything seems like it would make up an amazing book that people would foam at the mouth and claw others down in the attempt to grab the last remaining copy on the shelf (okay, that may be a little extreme).
But as we all know from that ever present theme in literature and life, not everything is as it seems.
For me, something in the book was off. I don't know what. Maybe it was a missing secret ingredient that could have made it a masterpiece instead of a merely mediocre read.
So there I was, reading along, sort of enjoying it but waiting to see it get better, when the book ended. BAM. It was terrible. I can see how it was supposed to be a cliffhanger. It was supposed to make you want to foam at the mouth even more and scream in agony because the sequel had yet to be published. That's not really how it happened for me.
I was just like, "Really? That's how it ends? Wow. Disappointing. Do I really need to read more of this when it just seems like it's missing something and the ending isn't good at all? No. No I don't."
So no. I don't myself continuing the series. Yes, it was mildly entertaining, but I didn't love Fury. It was okay.
And, unfortunately, the most emotion this book got out of me was annoyance. I don't think that was what the author intended.
         *No bonus points, negative or positive, were awarded for this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite! :)